Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sketchbook: Quilt Vignettes (Part II)

Casting is complete! Our filming day is being secured, and so far, I have received nothing but enthusiastic feedback from the artists behind the quilts I chose...fantastic!

Below are three more digital sketches inspiring me for this week's rehearsals. Can't wait to start working with our dancers...



This quilt is so simple, that I am actually inspired by it! Because the focus is on this framed rose image that is delicate and light, I thought it might be interesting to begin with the dancer tucked in on herself, then quickly throw herself into an unfurled position (jump? arabesque/dive?) with fabric flying about her. Just the one motion. Then I'll slow it down on my computer to make it look almost like a flower unfurling.
(Chinese Rose  by Diane Loomis)

Same quilter as Gingko. When I first saw this image, I immediately imagined it on a woman's spine, so I found it fitting when I realized the name was "Spinal." For this quilt, I'll actually black out the rest of the image so that the dancer is mostly in the shadows/dark, while only the spine is illuminated.
(Spinal by Sonya Lee Barrington)

This one is my favorite quilt. Originally I saw it as a woman standing in a long white dress with billowing sleeves. We'd turn on a fan and have her basically undulate in the wind, but her feet never move. Upper body only.
(Chasm by Judith Content)

Alternatively, I may place two white blocks inside the gaps, so that the figure can
play within the unique shape of the quilt.
(Chasm by Judith Content)



This program is supported in part by a grant from the Lowell Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.

1 comment: